For this episode of Passing Notes I had the opportunity to interview my previous principal, Mr. Lee Roland. Lee Roland is a former teacher, principal, district-level administrator, and the author of the book Fantastic Voyage: a Story of School Turnaround and Achievement by Overcoming Poverty and Addressing Race. Lee Roland is known for his work at Tulakes Elementary in Putnam City Schools. In this episode we explored the topics he covers in his book and his experiences of school turnaround at Tulakes Elementary.
- What does your current culture/climate look like?
- What areas of growth are needed in your current sphere (school or district)? Suspension rates? Academic? Attendance?
- What are your plans to engage parents and students throughout the school year?
- What support do you currently need to grow your school? Who do you need to support you? What do you need from your team?
- What metrics will you look at to measure your school’s growth this year?
- What are you most proud of that is happening in your school community?