Councilperson James Cooper has represented Ward 2 of Oklahoma City since April of 2019. Before that he was an AVID middle school teacher in Oklahoma City Public Schools. I met Councilperson Cooper during the Oklahoma Teacher Walkout of 2018, holding up a really cool sign!
Councilperson Cooper is also a writer and an adjunct professor who got his start in public service as a trustee on OKC’s transportation board. Upon being sworn in, Councilperson Cooper became the first Person of Color to serve Ward 2 and the first openly LBGTQ+ individual to serve as a councilperson in our city.
In this episode, Councilperson Cooper and I discuss how systemic racism and discrimination outside of the school community dramatically impact what happens within the school.
- Make a list of the systems that are in place within your classroom or school that negatively impact student groups/populations.
- Make a list of policies that are in place within your classroom or school that negatively impact student groups/populations.
- What next steps can you take to remove those systems or policies?
- What hard conversations do you need to have with administration, teachers, parents?
- What practical steps can you make daily to hear and see your students?
One thought on “Episode 065: Systemic Racism in Our Communities”
Great reading thiss